Property news detail

When you buy a ready-to-move-in home you need to get the khata transferred to your name within three months of acquiring title.

When you buy a ready-to-move-in home, you need to be aware of the Khata transfer that has to be done. The Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) issues Khatas for properties that are in its jurisdiction. A Khata is issued when a property is recorded in the property register maintained by a municipality or corporation. When a property is registered with a municipality or corporation, it is assessed to tax, assigned municipal number and records the person primarily responsible to pay the property tax. The Khata is required when you sell a property, obtain a loan on the property, apply for civic amenities such as electricity and water, and when you pay property tax.

A title holder of a property within the BBMP’s jurisdiction can apply for a Khata on the prescribed form, along with relevant documents, to the assistant revenue officer (ARO) concerned. The application form can be obtained from any of the citizen service centres or office of an ARO. You need to fill up the application form to register the Khata. The application form is to be submitted at the jurisdictional office of the ARO and acknowledgment obtained.

It is to be noted that it is essential to apply for a change of Khata when a property is to be transferred from one person to another through a registered sale deed, or in case of succession. This should be done within three months of the transfer. The person acquiring the title should make an application on the prescribed form enclosing the requisite documents.

These documents need to be attached with an application for transfer of Khata:

Attested copy of the registered title deed Copy of the previous Khata Latest encumbrance certificate (EC) Copies of previous property tax payments Possession certificate Sketch showing location and measurements of the property Affidavit of inheritance, succession or gift No-objection certificate (NOC) from Bengaluru Development Authority for amalgamation or bifurcation Photo of the property owner (who acquired title) Photo ID proof of the property owner (PAN card, passport, Aadhaar etc) In case you are applying for a change of Khata, you have to enclose proof of having paid property tax up to date along with the Khata transfer fee.

When your application is processed, a revenue officer from the BBMP will personally visit the property for an assessment and verification. Once the property is formally assessed by the BBMP, a statement mentioning details of the property such as its dimensions, value according to BBMP’s assessment, tax liability etc is prepared. The owner is liable to pay a Khata registration fee of two percent of the property’s value as mentioned in its sale deed.

After payment of the Khata registration fee, the owner will receive a notification to pay the pending property tax, if any. This will indicate that the Khata has been registered in the owner’s name. A Khata extract will be issued in the new owner’s name only after payment of any pending property tax. Khata certificate and extract can be obtained from the office of the ARO or at any of the Citizen Service Centres.

You can also opt for an E-Khata (electronic Khata) that can be filed online by a property owner. It enables you to pay your property tax online. You can avail an E-Khata only if the property has been issued a valid Khata as well as a Property Identification number (PID). You can get your property tax payment receipts using the PID number.

Back to Press